Sunday, August 22, 2010

Salsa!



In the Spring I bought a Jalapeno Pepper plant from our local farm market. I wanted to start a vegetable garden and I thought since I'm not a major gardener I'd start small to get my feet wet, so to speak. I found an unused pot and started my {small} container garden. I paired my hot peppers with basil in the same pot. I've used the basil almost immediately on everything from homemade spaghetti to bruschetta.

The jalapenos I've had to wait a while but the wait has been worth it. My mom gave me her salsa recipe and we made a mild and a HOT batch. I'm not one for hot foods but this was good. My husband has used it on his pizza, tacos, cheese and crackers...anything he can think of.
So here's the yummy recipe...Enjoy!

3 large tomatoes - coarsely chopped
3 canned or fresh jalapeno peppers - beware!!
3T chopped green onions with tops
1T fresh parsely - chopped (use more as you like)
1 clove garlic - crushed
1 1/2T cider vinegar (I used lemon/lime juice)
1/2tsp. salt
1/8tsp. ground cumin
1/2 small (8oz.) can tomato sauce

Mix all together and refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving. Can be frozen, but becomes watery upon thawing. Just drain if that happens. Use all fresh ingredients for best results.

1 comment:

  1. Tam, it's cute! Love it and the whimsical peppers. Pictures are great! Hey, did you get a release for the salsa recipe???? :)

    ReplyDelete